What can you do to prepare your home for sale this spring selling season? I have five tips to share with you today.
First, though, it’s important to get a home valuation or comparative market analysis (CMA). Most real estate agents offer this for free as part of your first consultation for your home.
A home valuation will help you know what your property is worth. That way, you know what kind of money you are working with and how many repairs you’ll want to make before putting your home on the market.
Once that’s done, there are five things you should do to prepare for the market:
1. Spice up the curb appeal. Pressure wash your driveway and walkways to get rid of the dirt and grime that gathered there all winter in the concrete. Do some landscaping. Add some fresh mulch and pull any weeds you see. Finally, add a fresh coat of paint to the front door.
2. Interior cosmetic updates. You can’t go wrong with a fresh coat of paint. If you have worn carpet or outdated flooring, make sure you get that updated. If you don’t want to add a fresh coat of paint to your entire home, at least address any nicks and scratches throughout the house.
3. Declutter. You’re going to pack up your home anyway, so why not do it in advance? I recommend decluttering before you get your listing photos taken. That way, your home will look like a model home. Pick up your personal photographs, knick-knacks, and things that crowd your countertops. Clean them off, put them in a box, label it, and store everything in the basement. Then, your home will be ready for photos.
4. Staging. Don’t underestimate the value of a staged home. Proper furniture placement can help open up rooms and make your home more appealing to buyers. Check out the “after” pictures on www.professionalstaging.com. Your home may not look exactly like that, but at least you’ll know what you’re aiming for.
5. Do a full cleaning of your home. Vacuum everything, wipe down all the surfaces, and make your home spotless for showings.
If you or someone you know would like a free home value estimate, we are doing about eight to 10 of them a week. Even if you are not selling your home for another year, we can give you an idea of where you want to go.
As always, if you have any other real estate questions, just give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!