If you’re planning on selling your home this summer, there are five things you can do to increase your home’s value:
- Paint. I always recommend a fresh coat of paint. If you don’t have an eye for color, a coat of crisp white paint can go a long way. If you do have an eye for color, consider a light sand tone or shade of gray. A fresh coat of paint will give your house a nice finish and you will cover fingerprints and stains throughout the house.
- Address your front door. A bright red or yellow door can differentiate your home from the rest of the properties on your street and make a great first impression on the buyer.
- Increase your curb appeal. Landscaping is the name of the game. When buyers drive by, you want your landscaping to pop. Make sure you put down fresh mulch, edge and weed your lawn, and plant fresh flowers. If you can’t plant fresh flowers, at least bring in a few potted flowers by the front door.
- Make quick bathroom updates. Install some new fixtures, paint the cabinets, or get a new vanity. Even just adding nice, fluffy towels, a fresh shower curtain, or a new rug can make your bathroom look new again (even if it really needs to be gutted).
- Clean and declutter. If you don’t do any of the other things, make sure you clean and declutter. We all live in our homes and have useful, convenient things on every open surface. Clean off your countertops, nightstands, shelves, and more. Throw out old magazines. Take down personal photos. You have to pack anyway, so put some things in boxes and store them so your home looks bigger and cleaner when buyers walk through it.
If you have any questions about getting your home ready for the market, give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!